Teachers: Ms. Asmaa & Mr. DJ
Dear parents and students,
It is with great pleasure that we welcome you to Year 11 IGCSE Business Studies!
In Year 11 students are preparing for the upcoming IGCSE Cambridge International Examinations (CIE) summer examination which will test their understanding of the practical application of the business theory taught in class.
Students will be given end of unit tests, assignments, projects, classwork and homework all to assess their level of understanding and identify areas of weakness or strength. These will be alongside the departmental assessment cycle.
Students: Use this site and 'Google Drive' to keep up to date with what you need to achieve success on the course.
Parents: This is a great way to see what your child is accomplishing in class.
If you have any queries please contact us via one of the following email addresses:
Ms. Asmaa - firstname.lastname@example.org
- People in business
- Marketing (Continued)
- Operations management
- Cambridge IGCSE Business examination
Cambridge IGCSE Business Studies textbook (Fourth Edition) by Karen Borrington and Peter Stimpson
For general business information:
Independent Learning and Homework
- Each week, you should be dedicating at least (2) hours to additional study
- Some of this will be set homework tasks
- Some of this will be your own research and reading on the topics being taught in class
- We are available throughout the school day if you need any help
If you do not study or complete work outside of lesson time you risk failure!
Homework is any work or activity which students are asked to do outside lesson time either on their own or with parents.
Why we give homework?
- To encourage students to develop the confidence and self-discipline to work on their own, an essential skill for adult life.
- To consolidate and reinforce skills and understanding.
- To extend school learning, for example through additional reading
Types of homework
Homework might include such things as:
1. Writing assignments.
2. Learning assignments.
3. Preparing an oral presentation.
4. Reading in preparation for a lesson.
5. Finding out information/researching a project.
Non completion of homework within the set deadline will incur sanctions in line with the school policy.
The following are the learning prerequisites of students opting for the subject of Business Studies in Year 11 leading to the IGCSE:
- High level of self-discipline.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Ability to apply the theoretical knowledge gained in class to examination questions which are application based.
- Since the subject is newly introduced in Year 10, the terms, definitions, concepts, content and graphs, are highly technical and requires students to listen carefully, understand well and study systematically.
- The syllabus is vast and therefore a regular study regimen has to be followed to avoid stress and confusion during the examinations.
- While the recommended textbooks are good, the textbook material has to be supplemented with extended reading of newspapers and business magazines.
- All definitions of terminologies must be understood and learned well. CIE expects students to quote them using the correct terms.
- Active interest in participating in classroom discussions is vital.