Science Year 7
Welcome to Science in the Secondary school. We hope you all had an enjoyable and restful summer break and are ready to face the excitement of science in the secondary school.
Teachers : Ms Lubna [7-2 and 7-6]
Ms Lamyaa [7-1, 7-3 and 7-5]
Mr Greg [7-4 and 7-7]
Calendar of events
29 to 30 August
- Introductions Meet and greet. Discuss class rules and expectations
Discuss class rules and expectations. Discuss Bellwork and expectations for it.
Discuss classwork and workbook activities.
2. Lab equipment To identify key lab equipment. Students use the worksheet which contains equipment that is used during science experiments. In groups and with the teachers help these are completed.
02 to 06 September
1. Unpacking the curriculum Explain the course for this year and how the assessment works. Introduce the topics to be covered during this term and throughout the year.Show the assessment weightings and speak about the importance of allround.
2. Lab safety rules To know and follow basic lab safety rules. To identify hazards in the laboratory. Discuss lab safety basics as class
3. What are the Lab safety rules? Discuss the importance of hazard symbols on items in daily lives. Identify each Hazard labels/symbols symbol. Give examples where we find them. Students to watch the video on lab safety rules
4&5. Organising data Students receive a lesson to show how to draw tables, bar charts and graphs. This is in preparation for activities that will be included in classworks and assessments throughout the year.
They receive a handout to keep as reference for the year.
09 to 13 September
1. Plant organs A discussion on plants around the world. Pupils can talk about what they know about their own country and the type of plant growth that occurs there. Questions are answered based on the map.
Coursebook questions 1 to 4 page 6
2. Plant organs Structure of a plant and the functions of the major organs are displayed and discussed with students. Students have to be able to locate the structure on a plant drawing. They make a diagram of a basic plant.
Coursebook questions 5 to 6 page 7
3. Comparing Leaves Pupils examine 2 different leaves and record their observations in the workbook
4. Human organ systems The organs and functions of the digestive system and the circulatory systems are discussed with the students. Charts of the different organs and organ systems are displayed.
Coursebook questions 1 and 2 page 8
5. Human organ systems The organs and functions of the nervous system and the respiratory systems are discussed with the students. Charts of the different organs and organ systems are displayed.
Coursebook questions 3 to 5 page 9 and Workbook page14
1. Be on time for every lesson.
2. Follow the school guidelines upon entering and leaving the classroom,.
3. Complete all bellwork and classwork activities. If classwork is not completed it becomes homework.
4. Respect every individual in the class.