Hi Parents and Students,
I would like to welcome you to the 2017-18 school year! I anticipate that this is going to be an exceptional year. My goal for the 2017-2018 school year is two-fold. First, I hope to make all of my students learn to love Qatar's History and second, to help them be successful on each exam.
I am Ms. DeShawn, and this is my first year at EMS. This will be my 17th year in education. I am from the United States of America, and live in the state of South Carolina. I studied Elementary Education at the University of South Carolina. In my free time I enjoy reading, jogging, travel, and the arts. I absolutely can't wait to be your teacher this year. We are going to have an AWESOME time!
My Expectations for Every Student:
- I expect every student to have all of their supplies, and be ready to listen and learn once the bells rings.
- The best way to learn is to participate. My class is interactive learning, and I expect for each student to be engaged and participate to increase their knowledge of the content that is delivered.
- If you are absent from class, you are responsible for obtaining assignments and notes when you return. Check for assignments on the assignment board. Worksheets and any additional handouts can be obtained from the make-up folder. (You have five school days after an excused absence to make up any missed work.)
- I expect every student to on their very best behavior while in class. I will not have the learning on other students hindered because one or two students fail to comply with the class rules.
Unit One: History
- Qatari Flag
- Qatar's National Vision
- Qatar and the Arabian Gulf region in the Modern Age
- Importance of the Arabian Gulf Region
- Political, Economic and Strategic Motives
- Colonial Motives in the Arabian Gulf Region
- Colonial Motives in the Arabian Gulf region
- Stages of European Competition for the Arabian Gulf Region
Unity Two: History
- Conditions of the Arabian Gulf region in 18th and 19th Centuries
- The Arabian Gulf region before the Ottoman Rule
- The Ottoman Gulf region before the Ottoman rule
- Reasons behind Ottoman interest in the Arabian Gulf
- Qatar under the Ottoman Rule
- Agreement between Sheikh Jassim and the Ottomans
- Battle of Al-Wajba (1893)
- Results of the Battle of Al-Wajba
Unit Three: Citizenship
- National Human Rights Committee (NHRC)
- Role of Qatar in the Field of International Peace
- Role of Qatar in the Field of Voluntary Work