Welcome to Year 11 IGCSE History!
This is who we are...
Teacher: Mr. Gunnar Stride, M.A., M.S.
Link to Cambridge's 2019 IGCSE History Syllabus
Curriculum Guide 2019-2020
This is who and what we are in studying in Cambridge IGCSE History (given by Cambridge title):
Core content studies:
- Were the peace studies of 1919-23 fair
- To what extent was the League of Nations a success?
- Why had international peace collapsed by 1939
- Who was to blame for the Cold War?
- How effectively did the U.S.A. contain the spread of communism?
- How secure was the U.S.S.R.'s control over Eastern Europe
- Why did events in the Gulf matter, c. 1970-2000
- The First World War I, 1914-1918
- Year 11's Depth Study will be determined by the class.
There are three major textbooks used in IGCSE Geography.
(1) Twentieth Century History - the major source for lessons - a hefty book filled with detail.
(2) Germany - a specialist book, very useful when dealing with Topic 3 above.
(3) World History - a book filled with excellent summaries!
There are four lessons per week in Year 11. There will be homework on two occasions a week. Homework will always be relevant to work completed in class on the day the homework is awarded. Students will normally have a couple of days grace to complete homework.
The IGCSE Examination
The Final Exam will consist of one examination paper of 2 hour duration based upon topics from all the work carried out this year. (see Revision Guide given to your child)
Section A : 5 questions, choose and answer 3 in full. (3 X 20 marks = 60)
Section B: 3 questions, choose one. Write essay. (1 X 40 = 40)
Total for exam: 100 Final Exam = 60% of term grade.
Assignments, for which marks may be given, will occur on a termly basis.
Students will be given a minimum of one calendar week to prepare for tests.