IGCSE ENGLISH LITERATURE Year 10
I would like to take the opportunity to inform you of the curriculum to be studied by your child in Year 10 English Literature. Please note that marks will be rewarded for your child’s progress in this subject; for classwork, projects/assignments, and tests in various formats. Your child will receive ample warning concerning tests.
Cambridge Examinations Syllabus English Literature 0486 (2019).
The following Prose, Drama and Poetry set texts are to be studied over the 2-year course beginning September 2017:
- Coursebook: Cambridge IGCSE Literature in English
- · POETRY Songs of Ourselves: The University of Cambridge International Examinations- Anthology of Poetry in English 15 Selected poems
- · PROSE Stories of Ourselves: The University of Cambridge International Examinations- Anthology of Short Stories 10 selected stories
- PROSE Mansfield Park Jane Austen
- · DRAMA Macbeth William Shakespeare
- · DRAMA A View from the Bridge Arthur Miller
Students will also study texts of their own choice and teacher’s choice which will facilitate learning and give students a global and historical perspective of literature.
The objectives in the English Literature course are:
· Students will be able show detailed knowledge of the content of literary texts in the three main forms –
Drama, Poetry and Prose.
· Understand the meanings of literary texts and their contexts, and explore texts beyond surface meanings to show deeper awareness of ideas and attitudes.
· Recognise and appreciate ways in which writers use language, structure and form to create and shape meanings and effects.
· Communicate a sensitive and informed personal response to literary texts
1st TERM 2nd TERM 3rd TERM
Assignment & Project(AP) 20% 10% 20%
CW/short assessments(CSA) 40% 40% 20%
TESTS/Final 40% 50% 60%
Parents are encouraged to support their child’s learning by taking an active interest in the subject and checking homework, tests, and project schedules. Please do not hesitate in setting up an appointment with me via e-mail if you wish to discuss anything concerning your child. firstname.lastname@example.org
PARENTS Important dates :
THANK YOU to the parents who attended the Parents' Conference last week. It is always a pleasure to meet you and discuss the welfare of your children whom I see every day of the week.
Parents who could not make it this term I hope to see you next term.
Please contact me if you have any concerns or just want to know about progress.
WEEK SCHEDULE: Sunday 14 January
POETRY- HW check analysis of PLENTY by Isobel Dixon
Poetry - Cambridge Course book Literature in English ...Ozymandias by P. B. Shelley
Cambridge Poetry Anthology - Songs of Ourselves Vol 2 Part 2 BIRDS BEASTS & the WEATHER
30 In Praise of Creation by Elizabeth Jennings
IMPORTANT ACADEMIC DATES
- Short Assessment POETRY TUESDAY 16 January
- TERM 2 Project (Part 1) IGCSE poems (3) see instructions
Instructions given to students
The Assignment/Project tests the following writing assessment objectives as for the Cambridge First Language Syllabus 2019
W1 articulate experience and express what is thought, felt and imagined
W2 organise facts, ideas and opinions
W3 use a range of appropriate vocabulary
W4 use register appropriate to audience and context
W5 make accurate use of spelling, punctuation and grammar.