IGCSE English 2nd Year 11
Ms.Kawthar & Ms. Daniela
Welcome back parents and students!
We are happy to welcome you to the 2017-2018 academic year. We are looking forward to achieving a productive year with our students.
English Second Language is a two year-course that our students started in year 10. This year will give them the opportunity to cover and extend their understanding of the skills covered last year.
The textbooks they will be using are the ones they were provided with last year.
The books are: English as a Second Language Coursebook by Peter Lucantoni
English as a Second Language Workbook by Peter Lucantoni
Summary and Note-Taking by Marian Barry
Students are expected to:
Attend school daily and arrive on time, ready for the day’s learning experience
Complete homework assignments
Read daily and develop a love for reading
Practise their skills on a daily basis
Ask for support when needed
Be considerate and responsible
Show respect for school property, teachers and friends
Students are expected to:
• Understand and communicate arguments, ideas and information both at a straightforward and a more complex level
• Structure work so the reader can follow the argument from the beginning to the end
• Select material from texts and develop it in relationship to the question, sufficient to show some independence of thought
• Describe and reflect upon experience and express effectively what is felt and imagined
• Recognise and explain underlying meaning and the writer’s attitude to the subject matter
• Vary style straightforwardly in different types of writing and give evidence of a good range of language
• Spell and punctuate accurately, with few, if any, mistakes
• Use well-constructed paragraphs and sentences (of average complexity) and obey standard grammatical conventions
• Speak clearly and confidently in response to other speakers and occasionally take the initiative.
• Carry out a range of writing tasks in response to a written stimulus, on a range of topics, including completing a form, writing a postcard, a letter, a summary or extended piece of writing in an appropriate, accurate and clear form of English
• Describe, report and give a wide range of information
• Identify, organise, structure and present material in an appropriate format and register for a particular audience or purpose, e.g. an article for a school newspaper
• Demonstrate competence in a range of speaking activities, e.g. respond to questions on a range of topics including past and present schooling, future plans, current affairs
• Respond confidently to new, topical ideas
• Conduct a sustained conversation with a sense of audience and purpose
Listening Exam: Tuesday, January 9, 2018, Lesson 5
Reading and Writing Exam: Thursday, January, 18, 2018.
Thursday, December 14, 2017 : National Day celebrations
Sunday, November 12, 2017
English test 2- article writing, reading comprehension and information transfer
October 16, 2017
Dictionary Day- Students will have activities related to the use of dictionaries and widen their vocabulary skills
October 8, 2017
English test in informal letter writing, summarizing and note-taking
Curriculum Subject Guide
This Week - January 7 , 2018
We will continue revising and practising past papers for the Mock Exams.
Students are expected to practise all skills on a daily basis.
For homework assignments, check google classroom.
Extra listening practice was posted on google classroom
Useful Links and Additional Resources
The following is the link to example candidate responses for IGCSE ESL exams. It is important that you check it and see how the papers are marked.