IGCSE English 2nd Year 11
Welcome back parents and students!
We are happy to welcome you to the 2018-2019 academic year. We are looking forward to achieving a productive year with our students.
English Second Language is a two year-course that our students started in year 10. This year will give them the opportunity to cover and extend their understanding of the skills covered last year.
The textbooks they will be using are the ones they were provided with last year.
The books are: English as a Second Language Coursebook by Chris Akhurst and Lucy Bowley
English as a Second Language Workbook by Chris Akhurst and Lucy Bowley
Summary and Note-Taking by Marian Barry
Students are expected to:
Attend school daily and arrive on time, ready for the day’s learning experience
Complete homework assignments
Read daily and develop a love for reading
Practise their skills on a daily basis
Ask for support when needed
Be considerate and responsible
Show respect for school property, teachers and friends
Students are expected to:
• Understand and communicate arguments, ideas and information both at a straightforward and a more complex level
• Structure work so the reader can follow the argument from the beginning to the end
• Select material from texts and develop it in relationship to the question, sufficient to show some independence of thought
• Describe and reflect upon experience and express effectively what is felt and imagined
• Recognise and explain underlying meaning and the writer’s attitude to the subject matter
• Vary style straightforwardly in different types of writing and give evidence of a good range of language
• Spell and punctuate accurately, with few, if any, mistakes
• Use well-constructed paragraphs and sentences (of average complexity) and obey standard grammatical conventions
• Speak clearly and confidently in response to other speakers and occasionally take the initiative.
• Carry out a range of writing tasks in response to a written stimulus, on a range of topics, including completing a form, writing a postcard, a letter, a summary or extended piece of writing in an appropriate, accurate and clear form of English
• Describe, report and give a wide range of information
• Identify, organise, structure and present material in an appropriate format and register for a particular audience or purpose, e.g. an article for a school newspaper
• Demonstrate competence in a range of speaking activities, e.g. respond to questions on a range of topics including past and present schooling, future plans, current affairs
• Respond confidently to new, topical ideas
• Conduct a sustained conversation with a sense of audience and purpose
Listening Mock Exam is on the 14th of January 2019
English Second Language Mock exam is on Thursday, January 17, 2019. The exam starts at 8:00 a.m.
Wednesday, December 12, 2018 -Term 2 test 1
The test is in Writing a report, Note-taking and summary writing.
Tuesday, November 6, 2018 English test in
Writing reviews and reading comprehension
Dictionary Day on October 16
Students will have dictionary related activities.
Wednesday, September 26, 2018: English test in
Formal/Informal letter writing
Curriculum Subject Guide
Students are practising their reading, writing and listening skills