IGCSE English 10 Second Language
Please note that all Year 10 SL teachers use Google Classroom for their respective classes. For daily announcements and updates, please check your child's Google Classroom. You can also opt to receive these daily updates as they are sent on your phone. Please contact the teacher if you need another invitation sent for the code or have any questions.
Year 10 Teachers
Important Upcoming Dates:
- Test 2 will be on November 19. This test will be on information transfer and formal email writing, both skills they have have been practicing.
- The travel brochure project will be due on Thursday, Nov.23rd. Information has been distributed to students and can also be viewed on Google Classroom.
The Cambridge IGCSE English 10 Second Language course offers learners the opportunity to gain lifelong skills and knowledge including:
- better communicative ability in English
- improved ability to understand English in a range of everyday situations and in a variety of social registers and styles
- greater awareness of the nature of language and language-learning skills
- wider international perspective.
Throughout the year, students will be consistently challenged so that their skills are constantly honed in their analytical reading, writing, speaking, and listening abilities.
To start the year, the students have embarked their learning with Unit 1, consisting of the following:
UNIT 1: Travel and tourism
1A Speaking and listening
- Learners are able to ask about and describe places and past events
- Narrating a good or bad holiday experience
- Pros and cons of tourism
- Debate- Tourism does more harm than good
1B Reading strategies
- Skimming and scanning of newspaper reports about risk and travel abroad
- Past papers exercise 1 –reading texts with comprehension questions
- Internet project- Lonely Planet online
- Formal and informal letter writing
- Note-making exercise – exam exercise 4 past papers
- Advertising leaflet/ travel brochure
The full curriculum subject guide can be viewed at:
- In Term 1, two tests will be given and they will account for 40% of the grade.
- Classwork/short assessments (1-5 will be graded) will account for 40% of the grade.
The following resources are highly recommended for students to utilize:
- English as a Second Language Coursebook and Workbook by Peter Lucantoni
- IGCSE English as a Second Language by Mike and Jane Gould (Collins)
- Summary and Note-Taking by Marian Barry