IGCSE English First Language Year 11
Ms. Christine, Ms. Bianca, Ms. Roxaan
Welcome back students and parents!
- First Unit: note-taking and summary writing, IGCSE Paper 2, Question 3.
- First Language for Cambridge IGCSE by Jane Arrendo
- Cambridge IGCSE First Language Coursebook by Marian Cox
- Complete First Language for Cambridge IGCSE Workbook
- Cambridge Summary and Note-taking by Marian Barry
- All documents, including syllabi and schemes of work, past paper examinations, specimen papers, and mark schemes for Cambridge IGCSE CIE Teacher Support website.
- Wider reading taken from masters of writing in the English Language as needed.
IGCSE skills/questions checklist
In 2015, 2016,2017 and 2018 Cambridge IGCSE students taking the extended exam had to perform the following thinking, reading, and writing tasks on their exams:
1. Note-taking and summary writing, Paper 2, Question 3.
Unit begun on 17 Sep.
Timed writing exercise Past Paper October/November 2015, Paper 22.
Timed writing exercise: Past paper February/March 2016, Paper 22.
2. How writer's achieve effects/effects of language, Paper 2, Question 2.
3. Narrative and descriptive writing, Paper 3, Question 2.
4. Informal and formal letter writing, Paper's 2 and or 3, Question 1
5. Newspaper and magazine article writing Paper 2, Question 1 or Paper 3, Question 1.
6. Other directed writing genres including speech, interview, and journal writing, either Paper 2, Question 1 or Paper 3, Question 1.
Assessment weightings and grading:
Assessment weightings for Term 1
Classwork and short assessments 40%
Assignments and projects 10%
Assessment weightings for Term 2
Tests-mock examination 50%
Tests-single term test 20%
Classwork and short assessments 30%
Grading: Year 11 adheres to EMS' Secondary grading standards:
49 and below=E
Wider reading/reading for pleasure:
- The Lottery by Shirley Jackson. In class line by line analysis and discussion